This week I decided to write about my neighbor back at home. One of the most well-known African American artists in the country, Frank Frazier has been an important figure in the art world. His works on African roots and culture have brought pride to many African Americans in a world where they are often taught not to be proud of themselves. A month or two ago I went to his house to see his new work with shoe polish. Being creative as always, Frank made a series of important moments and meaningful images in black history. From the layout of how slaves would be packed onto a ship to the raised black power fists in the Olympics, these images are all meant to invoke a sense of pride in ones race, and in what ones people have overcome. While we were there, my dad asked Frank why he used shoe polish as his medium for these paintings. He replied with a detailed history of how whites used to cover themselves with shoe polish and make themselves darker, so they could imitate blacks. I was awestricken by how powerful this was. Frank was able to find a most creative way to turn a symbol of oppression into something beautiful and meaningful, and a symbol of pride. If that's not art, then I don't know what is.
Have a blessed day,
-Benyonce'

No comments:
Post a Comment